Sunday, June 24, 2012

He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Remember this old song, "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"?  I remember singing this over and over in Sunday school as a child, not having an inkling of what this truly means.  Oh the depths and the riches of the fact that God is in control! Bill and I are on vacation and God's peace and presence have been so special for me. It has been like heaven on earth (on the Gulf for a few days and at the Atlantic beach since! PTL!)  As I opened my Bible this morning, God began to show me something amazing! I'll give you a little back ground first.  When I became a born-again Christian at age 22, I decided to live the rest of my life for God. At that point I made the decision to give everything I am or ever will be, all that I had or ever will have, to Jesus and His purpose for my life.  I decided that I would work for Him to the best of my ability. I do believe that although I'm not perfect, my heart has been steadfastly centered on that goal from that time and continues to be. Ironically, over the past 30 plus years, I've often felt like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere.  I've often felt overwhelmed by all the needs in the world, and despite my well meaning efforts, it doesn't appear to me that I've accomplished much for Him.  Yes, His presence and blessing have been there for me.  Yes, I've seen how I've help some individuals in some way come close to Him and experience His love. But has it been enough?  It seems that when most people hit mid-life, we many times want to evaluate our life's accomplishments.  We want to see if we need to make any changes to make our life count for something. Maybe it's because we realize more than ever how precious time is. Maybe we more than ever realize how amazing strength and physical ability is. In John 6:29, Jesus speaks about "the work of God".   Somehow when I read this passage this morning, I saw everything in a new and brighter light.  I saw how important it is to do the work of God more than ever before, but with a different perspective. The right perspective to have is to rest in the fact that He is a great God and He is sovereign. HE HAS THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS AND HE IS IN CONTROL! WE ALL HAVE A PART TO PLAY IN HIS PLAN.  BUT, WE NEED TO WORK HIS WORKS, NOT OUR OWN WELL INTENTIONED WORKS! In John 6, we see a crowd of people following Jesus around because they had seen the miracle of the multiplied bread. In vs 26, He rebukes them for only being interested in Him because of His provision.  He exhorts them to "labor not for the food which perishes, but for the food that endures unto ever lasting life...".  They then asked, "What should we do that we might work the works of God?"  Jesus responded, "This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He (God) has sent."  That's easy!  (or is it?) In other words, when we look at the Greek translation we find that it means to be loyal to, adhere to, and  trust in Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God. Notice that it's not just a mental belief. He doesn't give us a "to do list".  He wants our heart, the core of our being! He wants us close to Him, loving Him and cooperating with Him.  He says in another passage that "eternal life is to know Him". When we're walking and talking with Him, we naturally work His work. That's how we experience the depth of His rest and peace which He promises.  He works it all out.  We don't have to. His work is different for all of us. I have a friend, Lee Grady, who continuously travels all over the world and ministers to people. He seems to want to do this and enjoys it.  He is blessed in his work.  I have another friend, Judy Foster, who has given her life to the people of Haiti as a missionary.  I see both of their amazing works and could easily ask myself, "What in the world am I doing for God?" Anything that you and I do for God is between us and God. Only He knows what He created us for with our particular gifts, callings, and abilities. Only He knows how we fit into His plan for this world.  I see now more clearly than ever that we need to truly trust Him, love Him, and enjoy our life with Him. We must find confidence in the fact that our life is all that He wants it to be by hearing His voice each day telling us how much He loves us and that He's got us in the palm of His hand. I know that God is good and loves His children.  His grace is sufficient to do what we must, but He will never call us to work under a burdensome obligation.  I submit to you that He will always supply the ability, the heart, and the joy to do His work, even as far as laying our life down for Him, if it be that. I know God wants us free and happy in Him.  If we're struggling and oppressed, we need to reevaluate our works.  God has called us to peace.  Enjoy Him today and everyday!!  (2 Thessalonians 3:16), "Now the Lord of peace Himself give you peace, always, by all means.  The Lord be with you all."







No comments:

Post a Comment